Entourage the movie? almost a movie, I guess.

Glib Reviews of DVDs and Blu Rays

Entourage (the movie)
- Directed by Doug Ellin.

Wow, this is a show whose humour has not aged nearly as well as it’s cast might have in real life. I had no idea that this had been made, until it hit dvd, months ago. I have avoided it because the show itself had already run out of gas when it ended a few years ago. It ended right around the time I started transitioning from male to female. Why is this relevant? Well, simply as a parallel to the decline of my patience for sexist backslapping bro-humour mirroring a concept that hasn’t aged well in my eyes, nor I think in general, like me pretending to be male.  The coincidental timing really struck home as the movie started. 

I think back when the show first aired, I was still trying so hard to be a bro, zinging my bro-pals in those cliched sexist ways. it was fun, or seemed to be fun that I could be a part of. slagging your own masculinity, or that of others was such a huge part of humour among male friends, or at least every circle I have ever been a part of. an opportunity to zing someone, to poke through their masculinity were hunted for, and hopefully verbal sparring would occur. Ugggh. So glad that I participate in that crap as little as possible now. It's still an impulse sometimes though, I will admit. so ingrained into our brains.

A great part of the humour in Entourage has always come through bro-shaming, and yawn, the 90’s called and they think it’s tired to be calling folks pussies, or inferring that to be feminine is to be weak. Something that I think reinforces that the bros have overstayed their place in my heart, is that the only relatable characters in the film for me were Rhonda Rousey playing herself, and Sloane, Eric’s on again off again baby mama. Rousey was possibly the most human of all the characters we were given, maybe because she never seemed to be playing at anything. She was far more charming and interesting to me as an actress than as an ultimate fighter, or whatever they call that beating each other up for money now... as I loathe that crap.

The movie is a passable extra special long episode from the final season. Jeremy Piven, the politically incorrect black heart of the show seemed pained to be saying all these homophobic things again. His character, Ari, is trying to be better, and Piven seemed distracted and had none of the naughty appeal of 10 years ago Piven, none of the manic energy  was there, except in timed bursts. He seems to be saying horrible things to people, only because he is supposed to be ‘that guy’, not because of anything they said or did. Turtle, looking thin, still gets fat shamed, and skinny shamed, and gets the girl anyway. Same old same old.

Sigh. I for one and kind of glad that shame based humour isn’t funny to me anymore, except occasionally as a visceral reaction to discomfort. I thought I might have some nostalgia for these average actors who used to get these great scathing monologues demeaning each other, but um no. Not really. The best thing I can say about this movie is that if you still find the kind of bro-humour that tickled you 10-12 years ago funny, you might like this quite a bit, If not, as usual there are a few clever cameos at the very least, which I won’t spoil (much )for you. 


3.967 Andrew Dice Clay cameos where he’s the tolerant guy outta 10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of 'the Lobster'

Deadpool review

Three words: Vikings On Skis!